13 May 2011

Death of a Dear Froggie Friend

So . . . um . . . how awkward is this? What does one say after a mere 734 days of stone silence?

I actually found the old place again earlier this morning. It's taken me this long to hack my way through the overgrown briars to the dashboard. When I finally reached the control panel I found everything covered in cobwebs and had to wait for reinforcements to arrive with Raid. (True only in a metaphorical sense. In real life I almost never kill a spider. What would Charlotte think?)

Today is a sad day in the Bloggernacle, and particularly for me. It is the next-to-the-last day of Six LDS Writers and a Frog. I just hit "Post" on my final Friday Frog Blog. There is a whole lot of irony in how bereft I feel. For almost five years I worried about those things. I agonized over what to say--and what not to say. I never passed a Friday without feeling terribly inadequate in comparison with the stunning writers who went before: Sariah Wilson, Jeffrey (J. Scott) Savage, Robison (Rob) Wells, Stephanie Black--she of the THREE WHITNEYS IN A ROW--and ever faithful, ever amazing Julie Bellon. I often regretted the posts I put up and felt shamed over the many, many weeks I let other things get in the way of writing anything at all.

So. Today. You'd think I'd feel nothing but relief, but what I feel is sad. I assure myself it is lunacy to cry over the passing of a blog when there is so much real tragedy over which to despair. Alas, myself reminds me that the deepest hurts are always personal in nature, always painful, and always relieved--at least a little--when shared.

So, I invited a few people over and buzzed in to straighten up a few things in case anybody shows up. I recognize that after so much neglect, I am likely to be alone here for some time (forever?) and that's okay. (The echo is rather comforting in itself.)

If anybody does happen in, I do have caution tape stretched out over there in the corner. I know it is trendy for bloggers to ask people to follow them, but that's so not me! Sometimes I plod. Sometimes I rival the speed of light. Mostly I stumble through life. But irregardless of the rate of progress I fear that I mostly move in circles. You'd have to be crazy to follow somebody like that!

But do check out the links and feel free to follow some of those people! You'll like where they're headed, I promise.

18 comments:

Jennie said...

Kerry, I'll always follow you even when there are 700 plus days between blogs, but I hope you'll share your delightful sense of humor and spiritual insights a little more often than that now that you've leaped out of the frog bog.

battraws said...

So glad you posted today! It's always great to hear from you!

Jon Spell said...

Nobody else (IRL) understands why losing the blog has made me so sad. But, if you're going to post little bits of you over here, then my day is a little brighter. =)

Kerry on!

Jon, from the Jon-shaped hole

Debra Erfert said...

Hello, Kerry!

Kerry Blair said...

I am now officially happy as a clam in high clover! Wait. That doesn't sound quite right; I may have mixed my metaphors a little. Migraines are truly mind-mushing kinds of hings.

What I am trying to say is that you three are wonderful and your comments more appreciated than you will ever know!

Possibly I will survive this weekend after all. :) Thank you!

Kerry Blair said...

Excuse, me you FOUR! My horse counts better than do I.

Heather said...

I am glad you have posted again here, because I am also truly sad at the passing of the Frog Blog. I have read it since almost the beginning, back when I didn't know what blogs were, but I happened to read about your blog starting in the newspaper.

P.S. You have always been my favorite, and why I continued to read 6LDS&Frog!

Sarah Arbuckle said...

I will always be here for you, Kerry. I LOVE reading your blogs - wherever they might be; you always make me smile. Please email me soon (at sarahjane2@yahoo.com) and let me know what else is going on with you lately. I've missed you!!

Sarah A.

Erin said...

I'm sad, too, about the Frog Blog ending. But I think it's great you're posting here on yours! I was going to add myself to your list of followers, but can't quite figure out where that option is... Hmmm. At any rate, I'll be excited to check back here and see what's going on with you!

David G. Woolley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David G. Woolley said...

Did you know all this about John Greenleaf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Greenleaf_Whittier

Sounds like a man I would want as a good writing friend.

Anna Buttimore said...

I love everything you write, so will be a slavish follower of your blog. If you're feeling uninspired one day, just put your shopping list up here. It's bound to be as riveting as the rest of your writing.

Betsy Love said...

I miss you! And why don't you have a "followers" link up? I want to be your follower! Hey, did you know that Walnut Springs picked up Identity? I'm super excited. I'll shamelessly tell you to come visit my blog. sweetbetsylove.blogspot.com
I'd love to have you come check it, since you were one of my first beta readers!

Betsy Love said...

By the way, the link I gave is to my home page, the link to the novel is on the left. It's the picture of the locket! I hope you are well. I really do miss you!!!!

Andrea said...

Kerry, I recently came across your Nightshade Mysteries at my library, and I LOVE THEM. So much fun to read.

NeverGrowUp said...

Kerry,

Hey I just wanted to say that your books are pure awesomeness and I just can't get enough of them! Your Night Shade Series is my favorite!

Lauren said...

Change your blog address on the froggie blog to www.kerryblair.blogspot.com so more people can find it. Some people would type in kerryblair@blogspot.com and get confused when it doesn't come up.

Nissa Annakindt said...

I think a followers' widget for this blog would be cool. Keep on blogging!